Scotia Investments is a division of Scotiabank that provides a comprehensive range of investment opportunities to help individuals and institutional investors meet their financial goals. Whether you are looking for mutual funds, exchange-traded funds, brokerage solutions, or portfolio management services, Scotia Investments has something for you. In this article, we will explain the benefits of investing with Scotia Investments, the different types of investment products and services they offer, and how to get started.
Benefits of Investing with Scotia Investments
There are many reasons why you should consider investing with Scotia Investments, such as:
- Choice: Scotia Investments offers a wide selection of mutual funds for a broad range of investment needs, including their leading Scotia Portfolio Solutions. They also offer Scotia Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) that track broad market indices or responsible investing indices screened by a set of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) criteria. Additionally, they provide access to extensive brokerage solutions through Scotia iTRADE, where you can trade stocks, bonds, options, and more.
- Experience: Scotia Investments draws on the vast experience and specialized skills of the investment professionals at Scotia Global Asset Management, one of Canada’s largest asset management firms. They have a long and successful track record of designing diversified portfolio solutions that deliver long-term value to their clients. They also place the highest priority on the stewardship of their clients’ assets and incorporate ESG considerations in their investment decisions.
- Advice: Scotia Investments works with Scotiabank advisors who can help you get a clearer picture of your goals and identify the right investment solutions for you. They can also provide you with timely financial articles and advice alongside the latest economic and market updates through their publications such as Advice Matters and Let’s Talk Investing. Furthermore, they offer Scotia Smart Investor via Advice+, a digital platform that gives you personalized investment advice tailored to your evolving needs.
Types of Investment Products and Services
Scotia Investments offers various types of investment products and services to suit different investor profiles and goals. Here are some of the main categories:
- Mutual Funds: Mutual funds are pooled investments that allow you to invest in a diversified portfolio of securities such as stocks, bonds, or money market instruments. They are professionally managed by fund managers who aim to achieve the fund’s objectives and optimize its performance. Scotia Investments offers a family of mutual funds under the ScotiaFunds brand, covering different asset classes, sectors, regions, styles, and strategies. You can also choose from their Scotia Portfolio Solutions, which are pre-built portfolios that match different risk profiles and investment horizons.
- Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs): ETFs are similar to mutual funds in that they also invest in a basket of securities, but they trade on stock exchanges like stocks. This means they offer more liquidity, transparency, and lower fees than mutual funds. However, they also entail more market risk and trading costs. Scotia Investments offers two types of ETFs under the Scotia ETFs brand: Scotia Index Tracker ETFs and Scotia Responsible Investing ETFs. The former track broad market indices such as the S&P/TSX 60 Index or the S&P 500 Index, while the latter track responsible investing indices that apply ESG screening criteria to select companies that meet certain standards of sustainability and social responsibility.
- Brokerage Solutions: Brokerage solutions allow you to buy and sell various types of securities such as stocks, bonds, options, mutual funds, ETFs, and more through an online platform or a broker. You have more control over your investment decisions and can take advantage of market opportunities as they arise. However, you also bear more responsibility for your own research, analysis, and risk management. Scotia Investments offers brokerage solutions through Scotia iTRADE, where you can access a range of trading tools, research resources, education materials, and support services to help you make informed and confident trading decisions.
- Portfolio Management Services: Portfolio management services involve hiring a professional portfolio manager who will create and manage a customized portfolio for you based on your goals, risk tolerance, time horizon, and preferences. You can delegate the day-to-day investment decisions to the portfolio manager and benefit from their expertise, experience, and discipline. However, you also have to pay a fee for their service and trust their judgment. Scotia Investments offers portfolio management services through Scotia Wealth Management, where you can access a team of specialists who will provide you with comprehensive wealth management solutions.
How to Get Started
If you are interested in investing with Scotia Investments, here are some steps to follow:
- Determine your investor profile: Before you invest in any product or service, you need to know what type of investor you are and what your goals are. You can use the Investment Profiler tool on the Scotia Investments website to answer some questions about your financial situation, risk tolerance, time horizon, and investment objectives. The tool will then generate a report that will suggest your investor profile and the appropriate investment mix for you.
- Connect with a Scotiabank advisor: Once you have an idea of your investor profile and investment mix, you can contact a Scotiabank advisor who will help you review your options and recommend the best investment solutions for you. You can find an advisor near you by using the Find an Advisor tool on the Scotia Investments website or by calling 1-800-4-SCOTIA (1-800-472-6842).
- Open an account: Depending on the type of investment product or service you choose, you will need to open an account with Scotia Investments, Scotia iTRADE, or Scotia Wealth Management. You can do this online or in person with the help of your advisor. You will need to provide some personal and financial information, such as your name, address, social insurance number, income, assets, liabilities, and beneficiaries. You will also need to sign some documents, such as an account agreement, a disclosure statement, and a know-your-client form.
- Fund your account: After you open your account, you will need to fund it with some money that you want to invest. You can do this by transferring money from your bank account, depositing a cheque, or wiring funds. You can also transfer existing investments from another financial institution to your new account. Depending on the type of account and the amount of money involved, this process may take some time and incur some fees.
- Start investing: Once your account is funded, you can start investing in the products or services that suit your goals and profile. You can either follow the advice of your advisor or portfolio manager, or make your own trading decisions through Scotia iTRADE. You can monitor your account performance and activity online or through statements and reports. You can also make changes to your account or portfolio as needed.
Scotia Investments is a division of Scotiabank that offers a comprehensive range of investment opportunities to help individuals and institutional investors meet their financial goals. Whether you are looking for mutual funds, exchange-traded funds, brokerage solutions, or portfolio management services, Scotia Investments has something for you. You can benefit from their choice, experience, and advice, and access their products and services through various platforms and channels. To get started, you need to determine your investor profile, connect with a Scotiabank advisor, open an account, fund your account, and start investing. If you want to learn more about Scotia Investments and their offerings, you can visit their website or contact them directly.